If you are exploring adoption, one of the first steps you will take is to learn about the different types of adoption that are available to you. Continue reading and reach out to our experienced family law attorney to learn more about the types of adoption and which option might be best for you and your family. Give our firm a call today to learn more about our services and how we can assist you.
Different Types of Adoption Available in New Jersey
Adoption is not limited to the traditional process of a family taking in a young child in need. There are other adoption methods available that you may want to explore. The following are some of the types of adoption that are available in New Jersey:
- Adult adoption: Two or more adults transfer inheritance rights and/or filiation
- Second-Parent Adoption: A same-sex parent adopts their biological or adoptive child. This is done without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent
- Domestic Adoption: A United States resident adopts a child who was born in and lives in the United States
- International Adoption: Adopting a child from another country
- Stepparent Adoption: Adoption with the consent of the non-custodial parent or the termination of their biological parental rights. Termination is typically only under the grounds of abuse or neglect
- Open Domestic Adoptions: The adoptive child’s birth parents consent to the adoption and have ongoing contact with the child
- Private Adoption: Adopting a child through their biological parent or adopting a child the individual already knows. This option avoids the involvement of an adoption agency
- LGBT Adoption: LGBT couples have the right to adopt a child in New Jersey
What can I expect in the adoption process?
Adoption is known for being an invasive process that requires the assistance of a legal professional who will work with you each step of the way. You will be required to participate in training courses, background checks, home visits, reference checks, and more. It is important to understand that with each type of adoption, comes its own set of obstacles. You must be prepared to have probes in your home life and past. This is why it is necessary to retain the services of an experienced attorney who will work with your best interest in mind.
To learn more about adoption and how our firm can assist you, give our firm a call today. We would be happy to help.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.