A woman works on a laptop at a desk with papers and a coffee cup, her focus on the screen, arranging an online divorce in a brightly lit room.

What is a Post-Divorce Modification & How Can I Get One in NJ?

After a divorce, especially years after, there is a very good chance that your life has changed, and that your divorce agreement no longer reflects your current situation in life. If you find yourself in this situation, you may request a post-divorce modification. Read on and reach out to our New Jersey divorce attorneys to learn more.

What situations have awarded former spouses post-divorce modifications in the past?

There are a wide variety of scenarios that have awarded former spouses post-divorce modifications in the past. You can modify various terms of your divorce as well, including child support, child custody, alimony, and more. For example, if you pay child support or alimony and your former spouse either got a higher-paying job or otherwise came into a significant amount of money, there is a very good chance that you may ask for a decrease in child support or alimony payments. Additionally, if your former spouse either remarried or is cohabiting with another romantic partner, this may also warrant a reduction in alimony payments. That being said, if you are the receiving spouse of alimony or child support and you develop a serious medical condition, it may warrant an increase in alimony payments.

Child custody agreements can also be modified under various circumstances. For example, if one parent is looking to move away with their child, they may require a modification to their custody agreement. Additionally, if one parent exposes their child to an act of domestic violence, substance abuse, or anything else that may call their parental fitness into question, the other parent may seek a modification to their custody agreement. alimony payments. These are just some of the circumstances that may warrant post-divorce modifications, and if you believe that you require one, you should strongly consider speaking with our firm today. We are here to help.

What should I do to prove that I truly require a post-divorce modification?

If you are looking to receive a post-divorce modification, you should strongly consider hiring a knowledgeable New Jersey divorce attorney who can work to prove that you have undergone an unforeseen and significant change in circumstances that you expect to continue into the future. As long as you can prove that you truly require a modification based on pay stubs, emails/text messages, school records, (or any other documentation needed, depending on your circumstances), our firm can work to help you attain the modification you need. Give us a call today.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by