child profile photo

What You Need to Know About Enforcing Your Child Custody Agreement

There is nothing more important to a parent than their child. Your job as a parent is to ensure that your child is sufficiently taken care of and raised into adulthood. In a way, your responsibility as a parent never ends. However, if you are a divorced parent and your ex is refusing to abide by your child custody agreement, you are most likely weighing your options. Please read on and reach out to our New Jersey family law attorneys to learn more about how our firm can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are some common ways in which a parent can violate a child custody agreement?

There are many ways in which parents violate child custody agreements. This is unfortunate, as these agreements are in place solely to act in a child’s best interests. Any type of behavior that violates a child’s best interests is generally a violation of a child custody agreement. Some of the most common ways in which parents violate child custody agreements include exposing children to acts of domestic violence, failing to return children when their parenting time is over (this is sometimes classified as kidnapping, a felony), attempting to sabotage a child’s relationship with the other parent, developing a substance abuse issue, and more. Additionally, if a parent develops a serious mental illness, it may affect their ability to abide by their custody agreement, and if this has happened to your former spouse and you believe he or she is a threat to your child, you should strongly consider seeking a child custody modification.

What should I do if my ex disobeyed our custody agreement?

If your ex is refusing to follow your custody agreement, depending on the violation, you may wish to simply speak with him or her to see if they will correct the issue so it never happens again. However, if you know that your ex will not cooperate or that the violation was serious enough you need outside forces to intervene, our New Jersey family law attorneys can work to obtain a child custody modification on your behalf. In many cases, this will result in you gaining sole custody of your child, as long as the courts deem this to be in your child’s best interests. If you would like to learn more or require the services of an attorney, give our firm a call today. We are here to help.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by