A joyful young child riding a colorful toy truck, guided by a smiling bearded man on a sunlit suburban pathway. the scene is vibrant and full of life.

What to Know About Parenting Time Issues When Sharing Custody

There are two main issues that come up between parents who share custody regarding their parenting time. To learn more about these two issues and the actions to take when you are facing such issues, continue reading and reach out to our experienced family law attorney. If you have any further questions regarding parenting time or custody, do not hesitate to give our firm a call. We would be happy to assist you.

What are the most common parenting time issues when sharing custody?

One parent fails to show up for their parenting time: One of the main issues that come up between two parents who share custody regarding parenting time is when one parent does not show up for their parenting time. This can cause major complications for the other parent who is then left to make last-minute childcare arrangements. It is common for alternative childcare to be inaccessible, which may cause the parent to miss work or cancel important plans. The parent who is now unable to rely on their former spouse to show up for their parenting time should then collect as much evidence as possible of these incidents. With this evidence, they should then go to court to request a modification of the custody order to reflect the infrequency of parenting time.

One parent denies the other access to their child: The other primary issue that arises regarding parenting time between two parents who share custody is when one parent attempts to keep the child from spending time with the other parent. It is common for parents to try to deny the other parent access to their child, even with a custody order in place. An example of this might be when a parent cancels scheduled visitation by claiming that the child has told them that they do not want to see the other parent. Another example of this is constantly cutting the parenting time short. For any of these circumstances, it is important for the parent who is not receiving proper visitation to collect evidence of these actions by their former spouse. Once this evidence is collected, they should then go to court to ask for enforcement.

If you are facing similar complications between you and your co-parent, it is important that you reach out to an experienced family law attorney who can assist you moving forward. Give our firm a call today to learn how we can help.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by