Many New Jersey couples are getting divorced through the process of mediation. Mediation involves settling your divorce outside of the court with the help of a neutral third party. This process has numerous benefits. Read on to learn more about the process.
What are the benefits of mediation?
- Control: Mediation gives spouses more control and lets them make decisions regarding the terms of their divorce. This is very different from a litigated divorce, which involves a judge making decisions on your behalf.
- Confidentiality: Mediation is confidential. This means that neither spouse nor the third party is allowed to publicly share information discussed in mediation. Additionally, matters decided through mediation do not become public record, which is not necessarily true of matters determined through litigation.
- Speed: Mediation is usually quicker than other methods of divorce because the length generally depends on the couple and how many marital issues must be resolved.
- Cost: Unlike divorcing through litigation, mediation is cost-effective.
- Choice: It is a voluntary process that lets spouses reach healthy decisions on their own. This can make it a much more positive and collaborative process.
- Family: When a couple uses mediation, it tends to benefit any family involved. Trials can often be difficult for spouses, while mediation allows for healthy conversations. This is especially important for those with children.
If mediation does not sound like the right method for you, it is important to consider alternatives, including:
- Litigation takes place through the court. During this process, a judge will make decisions on your behalf.
- Arbitration is similar to mediation in that it involves a neutral third party and takes place outside of the court. But, arbitration is different because the third party acts as a judge and can make legal decisions on behalf of the couple.
- Collaborative divorce
- A collaborative divorce involves each party obtaining a lawyer. Then, a series of four-way meetings take place to come up with creative solutions to the matters at hand. Experts may also be involved.
Reach out to our firm to speak with an experienced attorney and learn more about your options when it comes to divorce in New Jersey.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, contact Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn today to schedule a consultation.