Adopting a child is one of the most meaningful things a person can do. However, the process can be complex, and it is important to know what lies ahead. Read on to learn more about the adoption process and the different types of adoption available in New Jersey.
Types of Adoption in New Jersey:
Every family is different and no adoption is the same. There are numerous types of adoptions when it comes to adding a new member to your family. Some of the most common adoption options include:
- Domestic Adoption: This type of adoption occurs when a United States resident adopts a child who was born in and lives in the United States.
- International Adoption: This refers to adopting a child from another country. Often, this type of adoption involves a lot of travel to and from the child’s home country.
- Open Domestic Adoptions: This occurs when the adoptive child’s birth parents consent to the adoption and have ongoing contact with the child.
- Private Adoption: This type of adoption involves adopting a child through their biological parent or adopting a child the individual already knows. This option avoids the involvement of an adoption agency
- Adult adoption: This occurs when two or more adults transfer inheritance rights and/or filiation
- Second-Parent Adoption: When a same-sex parent adopts their biological or adoptive child. This is done without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent
- Stepparent Adoption: Adoption with the consent of the non-custodial parent or the termination of their biological parental rights. Termination is typically only under the grounds of abuse or neglect
What to expect from the process.
Regardless of the type of adoption you choose, the process can be tedious, complex, and invasive. For example, many adoptions require the adoptive parent to participate in training courses, background checks, home visits, reference checks, and more. As a result, it is important to work with an experienced family law attorney who can help you prepare, fill out the necessary documentation, answer all of your questions, and more.
If you are interested in adopting a child, our firm is here to help. We will walk you through the process and advocate for you and your child every step of the way. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can begin the process. Contact us today to discuss your options.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.