Post Judgment Action in New Jersey

When the New Jersey court system issues a judgment on a matter related to divorce or family law, those involved are legally required to follow the court’s decision. Often, the court has to rule on matters such as child custody, child support, spousal support, visitation arrangements, the division of assets, among other things. The court is always going to make their decision based on the current circumstances of the parties involved. Once the decision is made, both parties must follow the provisions of the order. Of course, circumstances may change down the road and one of the parties may be unsure of what to do.


When an individual’s circumstances change after a judgment is made, they may no longer be able to continue abiding by the custody arrangement, the obligation to pay alimony or child support, or whatever else the case may be. In this situation, the individual must continue to abide by the original court order until the court actually approves any changes. An individual can request modification but must prove that there has been a permanent, unanticipated, and substantial change in circumstances that make it so they can no longer abide by the initial order. The legal standard to approve a modification is very high so it is best to retain an attorney.

Enforcement Orders

When one party believes the other is not following the court’s decision, they can request the court’s assistance in enforcing the order. The individual must file a Motion to Enforce Litigants’ Rights if they wish for intervention from the court.

If you have questions about post-judgment action in New Jersey, contact our firm today.

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by