man signing documents

If My Parental Rights Are Terminated, Do I Still Have to Pay Child Support?

Parents have significant responsibilities to their children, including the obligation to financially support them, even if they separate from the child’s other parent. However, this financial obligation, known as child support, can be impacted if a parent terminates their parental rights in New Jersey. It must be known that this is not an easy process and has many intense implications. As such, the following blog explores what you must know about how these circumstances are handled in the Garden State and why you must consult New Jersey child custody attorneys before making any decisions.

When Can the Court Terminate Parental Rights in New Jersey?

The termination of parental rights is not something the courts grant lightly. In many instances, if a parent wishes to sign away their rights, the courts will ensure they understand the full impact of this decision. In New Jersey, the courts will only grant this to parents voluntarily relinquishing their rights in the event they are putting the child up for adoption or another adult is stepping in to adopt them, so they will have two parents financially obligated to support them. For example, if the custodial and legal parent has a new spouse who wishes to adopt the child, the non-custodial biological parent can voluntarily terminate their rights.

If I Sign Away My Parental Rights, Do I Still Have to Pay Child Support?

In the event you sign away your rights, it’s important to note that you are giving up all rights to the child. As such, you will become virtual strangers.

By relinquishing your rights and putting the child up for adoption or allowing another adult to adopt the child, you will no longer be required to pay child support. This is because you are no longer financially obligated to support the child since you are not legally required to care for or support them in any way.

What Should I Do if I Have Questions About This Process?

As you can see, the termination of parental rights is a very complex matter. Whether you’re considering putting a child up for adoption or asking the child’s no-custodial parent to terminate their rights so your new spouse can adopt your little one, there are many factors that must be considered.

It’s important to understand that the courts will ensure the parent looking to voluntarily terminate their rights fully understands the implications of this matter, as this can rarely be reverted once complete.

At Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn, we understand the complex issues that can arise during conversations surrounding the termination of parental rights. As such, our dedicated team will do everything possible to help you navigate this process to support your wishes and the best interest of your child. Contact our team today to learn how we can assist you during these challenging times.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by