husband and wife divorce

I Need to Modify My Divorce Arrangements | What You Need to Know

When you get divorced, there are a number of matters to resolve. These matters may include child custody, child support, spousal support, and more. Our lives change over the years, sometimes drastically. As a result, the decisions you made regarding the matters of your divorce may have made sense at the time, but no longer work years down the line. In this case, you may need to request a post-divorce modification. Read on to learn more.

What matters can be modified?

There are a number of matters that can be modified once they have been finalized, including:

  • Child Custody: When either a parent or child’s life changes and the current custody agreement no longer works.
  • Child Support: When a parent paying child support experiences a change in their financial situation, either party can request an increase or decrease in payment amounts.
  • Spousal Support: When a former spouse’s personal or financial life changes, either party can request an increase or decrease in the payment amount.

What warrants a post-divorce modification?

It is not easy to obtain a post-divorce modification. This is because you will have to prove that a drastic and permanent change has occurred to warrant the modification. Some situations that may warrant a modification include:

  • The supporting spouse received a raise or otherwise came into a large amount of money. If this occurs, you may ask for a larger amount of alimony and/or child support.
  • The supporting spouse recently was demoted or lost his or her job, warranting a temporary decrease in child support/alimony payments.
  • The supporting spouse developed a medical condition or illness warranting a decrease in support payments.
  • One spouse has now remarried or is living with another partner, warranting a decrease or termination of alimony payments.
  • One parent exposed the child to substance abuse, domestic violence, or another scenario that endangers the child.
  • One parent is looking to relocate with their child.
  • A child is going to college or has special needs, warranting an extension on child support payments, past the age of emancipation.

It can be difficult to prove that you need a modification, so it is important to reach out to an experienced family law attorney. Our firm will advocate for you. Reach out today to discuss your case.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by