A wooden gavel resting on its sound block, with a closed, hardcover book about domestic violence in the background, all placed on a white surface.

How is a New Jersey Court Order Enforced?

When matters of divorce and family law are approved by the court, a court order will be issued in order to finalize the agreements and make them the law. This means that they are required to be followed by all parties included in the order. If a former spouse or parent refuses to cooperate and ignores the order, there are ways to have it enforced. Continue reading below to learn more and contact our experienced New Jersey divorce attorneys for assistance with your case.

When is a Court Order Violated?

There are a variety of court orders that can be mandated when dealing with divorce or family law in New Jersey. This may be in regard to child custody, child support, visitation, alimony payments, and equitable distribution of property. If one party does not follow the court order, it is considered a violation. This be the case in the event of the following:

  • The child’s other parent is not following a visitation plan
  • Child support or alimony payments are not being made
  • The former spouse is disobeying court orders regarding the division of property
  • Penalties for contempt of court/Being accused of contempt of court

How is a Court Order Enforced?

When a former spouse or parent of your child does not follow the mandated court order, it is possible to try and take care of the situation on your own first. This can be done by speaking with them about the issue and asking them to abide by the order. However, if this still does not work, you may obtain an enforcement order via family court. In New Jersey, begins by filing a motion referred to as an Order Enforcing Litigant’s Rights. Individuals who continue to not cooperate with the order can be held in contempt of court, resulting in certain consequences. If there are no other options, this can sometimes include incarceration. If your former spouse or parent of your child refuses to follow a court order, contact an experienced attorney who can help you get the order enforced.

Contact our Firm

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by