A minimalist workspace featuring an open laptop on a white desk, surrounded by books, a pair of headphones, and a camera lens. The setting has a clean, modern vibe with post-judgment modifications

How do I Receive a Post-Judgment Modification in New Jersey?

When couples divorce, they will reach an initial divorce agreement. However, in the years following their divorce, their lives will most likely change, sometimes significantly. This is also true for any children the couple has. For this reason, courts in New Jersey will award certain spouses post-judgment modifications so their initial divorce agreement can better reflect their current situation in life. If you believe you qualify for a modification, you should continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable New Jersey family law attorneys to learn more about how our firm can help you through every step of the process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What situations may warrant a post-judgment modification?

There are various circumstances that may warrant a post-judgment modification, including the following:

  • The supporting spouse received a raise or otherwise came into a large amount of money, warranting an increase in child support or alimony payments.
  • The supporting spouse recently was demoted or lost his or her job, warranting a temporary decrease in child support/alimony payments.
  • The supporting spouse developed a medical condition or illness warranting a decrease in support payments.
  • One parent exposed the child to substance abuse, domestic violence, or any other scenario that calls that parent’s parental fitness into question, thereby warranting a modification to their child custody agreement.
  • One parent is looking to relocate with their child, warranting a modification to their child custody agreement.
  • One spouse has now remarried or is living with another partner, warranting a decrease or termination of alimony payments.
  • A child is going to college or has special needs, warranting an extension on child support payments.

These are only some scenarios that warrant post-judgment modifications, and if you believe that you have incurred a significant and continuing change in circumstances, you should retain the services of an experienced New Jersey family law attorney as soon as you can. We are always here to help.

How can I prove that I truly need a post-judgment modification?

To prove that you require a modification, you should hire an experienced New Jersey family law attorney who can work to obtain all of the evidence needed to prove that you have experienced a substantial and continuing change in circumstances that make your initial divorce agreement impractical or unfeasible. Depending on the circumstances around your modification, our firm can use police reports, school reports, text messages/emails, and any other documentation that supports your need for a modification.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by