child profile photo

Frequently Asked Questions About Child Support in New Jersey

Child support is often one of the most hotly-contested divorce-related issues, and if you are currently going through the divorce process as a parent, you most likely have various questions about child support in New Jersey. Please continue reading and reach out to our knowledgeable New Jersey family law attorneys to learn more about child support in New Jersey and how our firm can assist you through the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How are child support payments determined in New Jersey?

Courts will consider a wide variety of factors when determining your child support agreement, though they will primarily consider two things: a) the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines and b) your child’s well-being. Some of the most important factors when determining a support agreement are both parents’ yearly incomes, both parents’ age and health, their child’s age and health, the number of children the parents have together, the parent’s child custody agreement, whether the child plans on attending higher education, whether the child requires special education services, and more. Child support is designed to cover various expenses incurred when caring for a child, such as clothes, food, transportation, healthcare, and more.

Can I modify my child support agreement in New Jersey?

If you can prove that there has been a significant and continuing change, there is a very good chance that you may modify your child support agreement. For example, if your child reached the age of emancipation, you may request the termination of your child support agreement. On the other hand, if your child has special needs or plans on attending higher education, you may request an extension on child support. Other situations, such as a child getting married, joining the military, and more, may also warrant the termination of a support agreement.

What happens if my former spouse is refusing to pay child support?

If your former spouse is refusing to pay the support that your child is owed, our firm can help file a child support enforcement application with the court. From here, the court can impose a wide variety of penalties on your former spouse until he or she begins paying child support once again. Some of these penalties can include fines, wage garnishments, property seizures, or, in the most serious cases, sanctions or jail time. If you have any further questions regarding child support in New Jersey, please do not hesitate to give us a call today.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by