gavel near books

Can I Receive a Post-Judgment Modification in New Jersey?

When couples determine the future of their marital issues, they are required to be approved by a judge. Once this is finished, these arrangements that were made are considered the law. This means that they must be followed, otherwise, the court can legally enforce them. While this is true, the court understands that lives change over time. It is because of this that these changes may require a modification to be made to a divorce settlement. When seeking a post-judgment modification, it is important to retain the services of an experienced New Jersey divorce attorney for guidance. 

What Can be Modified?

In New Jersey, modifications can be made to any divorce or family law situation that no longer suits a family under the right circumstances. This can include the following matters:

  • Child Custody: When either a parent or child’s life changes and the current custody agreement no longer works.
  • Child Support: When a parent paying child support experiences a change in their financial situation, either party can request an increase or decrease in payment amounts.
  • Spousal Support: When a former spouse’s personal or financial life changes, either party can request an increase or decrease in the payment amount.

How Can I Get a Modification?

In order to receive a modification from the court, the individual petitioning for it must prove that the change in their life is significant and ongoing. This may be the case in the event of the following situations:

  • A child reaches the age of emancipation no longer needs child support
  • Financial responsibility must be determined for college education payment
  • Either party is living with another person and no longer needs support from their former-spouse
  • If the child’s schedule changes, a former spouse may wish to modify custody terms, parenting time, and visitation schedule
  • If either former spouse receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., the spousal or child support payment amount may need to change
  • If either parent exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need changing

Contact our Firm

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by