Two hands holding and tearing a hundred-dollar bill, one with red nail polish, against a plain grey background.

Can I Modify My Alimony Agreement if I Lost My Job in NJ?

Losing a job can be stressful, but if you have to make regular alimony payments as well, losing a job can be devastating. That being said, in many cases, people in these situations can request a modification to their alimony agreement. If you believe you may qualify for a modification to your spousal support agreement, continue reading and contact our New Jersey divorce attorneys today. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do New Jersey courts determine alimony agreements?

Courts in New Jersey will examine various facets of both you and your spouse’s lives to determine how your alimony agreement will be arranged. The most important factor is which spouse is financially dependant. To determine as much, they will look at both of your yearly salaries, earning potential, your child custody/child support agreement, and more.

Will New Jersey courts allow me to modify my alimony agreement if I lost my job?

In many cases, as long as you can prove that there has been an unexpected, significant, and continuing change, there is a very good chance that NJ courts will allow you to modify your spousal support agreement. That being said, simply losing your job may not qualify, which is why NJ courts will investigate the reason you lost your job, as well as whether you are looking for a new job, whether you’ve been out of work for at least 90 days, whether you received a severance payment, and more. Furthermore, if you lost your job due to injury or illness, they will also consider this.

What may not qualify for a spousal support modification in New Jersey?

While there are various situations that may qualify for a spousal support modification, there are certain situations that will not. For instance, if you lost your job due to criminal activity (e.g. stealing from the company), this is not seen as an unforeseen change, as you willingly took part in illicit activity. Additionally, simply quitting a job will not qualify for a modification as well. Acts of gross negligence that caused you to lose your job will also most likely not qualify. However, as is true with many aspects of family law, there are certain gray areas, and if you believe that you truly qualify for a modification to your alimony agreement after losing your job, the most important thing you can do is speak with our New Jersey divorce attorneys today. We are here to assist you,

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by