Close-up of a dictionary page focusing on definitions of the words

Can I make modifications post-divorce?

Divorce is not a simple process. The courts understand that complications between two ex-spouses do not stop after the divorce is finalized. Sometimes modifications need to be made to a divorce settlement. Typically, if one or both spouses’ life has changed substantially, they will have grounds to revisit the initial divorce agreement. These modifications will better reflect the current situation in the spouses’ lives.  In the case that your current settlement no longer suits the family or individuals, courts will likely understand that life happens and situations may change. To proceed, you should retain the services of an experienced New Jersey divorce attorney. Do not hesitate to reach out to our firm so we can walk you through this process. If you have any questions regarding modifications, contact us to schedule an initial consultation.

What might need modification?

Individuals are required to prove that there is a change or reason to call for the modification of their settlement agreement. Find the most common reasons for post-judgment modification requests below:

  • If custody agreements may need to change because either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc.
  • If an adjustment may be needed for custody terms, parenting time, and visitation schedule due to the child’s schedule changes
  • If their child is in college and financial responsibility must be determined
  • If either party no longer needs support from their former spouse due to cohabitating with another person
  • If their child reaches the age of emancipation and no longer needs child support payments
  • If the amount that is owed in spousal support or child support may need adjusting because either party receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc.

Reach out to our firm today if you are experiencing a similar situation. If you believe your divorce agreement needs modification, contact us to get started.

What can be modified? 

Modifications can be made to the following agreements that were made during New Jersey divorce proceedings:

  • Spousal Support: If a person’s financial or personal situation changes, a request for modification in the amount they owe can be made.
  • Child Support: If a person’s financial situation changes while owing child support payments, either party may ask for an increase or decrease in the amount they owe.
  • Child Custody: Child custody can be modified if either parent or child experiences change that deems the current custody agreement no longer suitable

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by