A joyful young child riding a colorful toy truck, guided by a smiling bearded man on a sunlit suburban pathway. the scene is vibrant and full of life.

Child Support in New Jersey

When a couple with children decides to get divorced, they may have to address child support and child custody. Child support is paid by the noncustodial parent to the custodial parent in an effort to help the child maintain a similar quality of life that they had prior to the divorce. Often, parents are unsure of how child support is determined and are concerned about how much they will be obligated to pay. Parents in New Jersey are obligated to make child support payments until the child turns 19 years old, in most cases. However, if the child pursues a higher education, the obligation may be extended until the child turns 23 years old.

How is Child Support Determined in New Jersey?

When assessing exactly how much the noncustodial parent will pay in child support, the New Jersey courts will use the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines as a basis. It is also important to note that the court uses a number of other factors when determining a fair support structure. Some of these factors include:

  • The needs of the child
  • The custody arrangement
  • The standard of living prior to the divorce
  • Income and assets of each parent
  • Earning capacity of each parent
  • Age and health of each child
  • Age and health of each parent

Determining child support can be complex. It is important to have the guidance of an experienced divorce and family law attorney to make sure you are getting a fair arrangement. Our legal team has effectively represented parents facing child support and custody issues for decades, and we’re prepared to put that experience to work for you as well. Contact our New Jersey child support attorneys today.

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation. 

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by