co-parenting child

Who can request visitation in NJ?

One of the most difficult things about a divorce is that when the divorcing couple has children, there are a lot more people impacted than just the couple itself. There may be some instances in which one of the parents or other extended family members lose access to a child simply because of the way a custody arrangement worked out. That being said, New Jersey feels that it is beneficial for the child to be able to maintain positive family relationships, even after a divorce. However, there are unfortunate cases where some family members are denied visitation rights to a child because they do not qualify, no matter how close the child is with that relative.

Who Can Request Visitation in the State of New Jersey?

If a parent refuses to allow the child to see certain family members, they may wonder if they can request an order for visitation through the New Jersey family court system. It is important to note that this is only applicable to the child’s other parent, grandparents, and siblings. Other family members such as uncles, aunts, cousins, and step-siblings may not be able to seek visitation rights in New Jersey. That being said, sometimes, these family members may be able to seek custody of the child if they are able to prove that they are the “psychological parent.”

If you need help requesting visitation with a child in your life, contact a New Jersey family lawyer from our firm today. We have decades of experience guiding clients through a wide range of family law matters, and we’re prepared to put that experience to work for you in your case.

If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Russoniello & Dunn is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Today
Website Designed & Managed by